Sunday 21 February 2016

On a roll

Another milestone reached today as we managed to round up enough friends to turn the hull the right way up. The manoeuvre involved removing the hull from the 'shed', resting one side on trestles and lowering the other down onto an old mattress, then setting up a restraining rope through the keel bolt holes and attached to an obliging tree via a block and tackle. The hull was then pushed over and shuffled a bit and carefully lowered onto the deadwood. Ropes placed underneath were then used to lift the boat back into the shed where the old building frame was taken out and new supports put in. It all went pretty smoothly with nine people involved. We know it has been done with six people but eight to ten makes it quite easy. The team the retired for beers and lunch.  Here are the photographs. Oh also this week, the engine arrived. It won't be going in for a while but it is a tight fit and having it in the shed will allow D to take measurements off it as he starts the fit out.


 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Well done team! keep the pictures coming. Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeremy,
    I've been reading your blog with interest. I have a GG, built by my father 15 years ago (#42 - Whimbrel). I recently inherited her so a new chapter beckons. I've got some pics from the build which might interest you including keel casting. Let me know and I will send. I was curious to know where you are planning to keep her. I've just secured a mooring on the Hamble and was gobsmacked to learn that typical waiting lists are five years but can be as high as fifteen. Hopefully you're planning ahead!\ FYI my email is will@tinhorse.com
    All the best,
    Will Maskell

    ReplyDelete

Hello,Glad you want to comment but please keep it polite - thank you