Saturday 19 May 2018

Escapology

D recently bought me a card which I think pretty much sums it up as the sailing season starts. Need I say more.


Quickly moving on, we raced Satellite for the first time last weekend in a new event, the Cowes Spring Classics. A small group of gaffers and Bermudan boats gathered to participate in what was billed to be a three race series. Unfortunately the weather had other plans and Saturday saw absolute calm descend on the fleet leaving us to find other things to do. I have to say this turned out to be a potentially productive afternoon as a visit to the boat from another competitor to look at the rigging work I had done on Satellite lead to an invitation to provide some of the rigging and leatherwork for a restoration of 'Naneen' currently in build in Kilrush in Ireland and potentially the first of a fleet of seven, the original hulls of which have sat in a farmyard, rotting. See the link below for the restoration story.
https://www.facebook.com/Dublin-Bay-Sailing-Club-21-Footer-Restoration-136540253673608/
The project leader is planning a modern build and so was interested in the work I had done with Dynastay and also the leathering.

I have decided that I would like to assist with the project and although it won't immediately lead to the ability to escape the world of the day job, one never knows what it might lead to. I plan to enter into negotiations and see where we end up.

In addition, I got the chance to fit the rest of the cover and whilst it was not fully fettled, we did use it in earnest on Saturday night and it proved its worth.

Furthermore, a little downtime allowed me to indulge and, as a Captain Curry riggers kit arrived with the card (birthday in case you haven't guessed) then the rather fine combined shackle key and marlin spike demanded a suitable lanyard to prevent it going overboard. Maybe I went overboard instead...


Whilst wandering round the marina waiting for any wind to turn up, I got chatting to one of our friends whose lovely gaffer has not quite so lovely a sailcover. A bit of a discussion later, and I am taking my tape measure to the next rally to measure up for a replacement for the sad worn cover. As you can see below, the only thing going for it was it had its own ecosystem.....There is a spray hood to replace as well but I plan to watch the four hours of Sailrite video on making spray hoods before making any commitment as it would have to be up to my standard. That's dedication.



And what about the sailing ? Well, Sunday morning dawned fair and windless but with a promise of a breeze building. The race officer held his nerve and got us out into the Solent in just enough wind to creep over the tide for the first race and then the second had a bit more breeze to play with. By the time we headed home after prize giving (we managed a 2nd and a 4th place so were 3rd overall) the wind was a stiff 4-5 and we had a spectacular reach home.

Photos of Satellite racing are at https://www.ingridabery.com/v/photos/81154bgd/C291337804/satellite

or

https://www.cowes-spring-classic.chrisbrownphotography.co.uk/page

Reaching home (both pictures copyright R.Jacobs)


And what of the seagull deterrent ?.... keep watching this space....




2 comments:

  1. Hi, I have loved your blog. I am part way through my own build. May I ask... where did you have the keel cast? I do not wish to do that myself and I have failed to find a supplier.
    Thank you.
    Enjoy the fruits of your labours.
    Regards.
    Steve Kent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve, we got it done by https://www.ironsbrothers.com/keels.html
    in Plymouth

    ReplyDelete

Hello,Glad you want to comment but please keep it polite - thank you